Before & After Care for Dermal Fillers
How do you avoid bruising with dermal fillers?
Your pre-treatment and post-treatment actions can have a big effect on these. So here are a few pre and post treatment tips that can help you avoid any unnecessary bruising etc.
Make sure to follow the instructions & advice of your Aesthetic Pharmacist, and importantly make sure to turn up for your 14 day follow up appointment after your dermal filler treatment. Ask them any questions you have before the day of your procedure.
No matter whom you choose to do your injection, it is always best to avoid planning any important work or social events for 2-7 days after treatments. If you bruise easily, you may need to plan for 2 weeks to heal. Most bruises can be covered fairly well with make-up, but not all. If you have an extremely important event like a wedding or a reunion, We would recommend having fillers done 3-4 weeks before the big day, as sometimes bruises can last for up to 14 days.
Before Your Dermal Filler Treatment
To a large extent your results will depend on how well you and your Aesthetic Pharmacist are communicating about what you want and expect. If you are both clear and realistic, treatments tend to go well.
Medications to possibly discontinue 7 days before treatment. Some of these may be needed for medical reasons so check with your Aesthetic Pharmacist first. The reason to stop these is that they make your blood less likely to clot (“thinner”) which can cause bruising. If you are on warfarin or clopidogrel, stay on it, and inform your Aesthetic Pharmacist before your appointment.
Stop the following:
- Ibuprofen & Anti-Inflammatories
- St. John’s Wart
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- Vitamin E
- Ginko Bilboa
If you need pain medication, paracetamol is always fine to use.
- Stop drinking alcohol 1-2 days prior to injections.
- No garlic 1-2 days before injections.
- If you have ever had a cold sore around the mouth or near the injection site be sure to talk to your doctor before treatment. He/she will probably prescribe you anti-viral medication to prevent an outbreak.
During Your Dermal Filler Treatment
We will apply numbing cream about 20-30 minutes before starting the injections, it will help prevent bruising and make you more comfortable during the treatment. Some anesthetic creams constricts blood vessels slightly making bruising less likely.
Our Aesthetic Pharmacist can tell you right after the treatment if they think you are likely to have much bruising just from experience.
After Your Dermal Filler Treatment
Some common injection-related reactions may occur, such as swelling, bruising, redness, tenderness, itching, and discoloration at the injection site. The intensity and duration of your filler side effects will depend on the treatment aggressiveness and your individual healing characteristics, but normally can last for one to two weeks after the treatment.
Remember it can take from 1-7 days for the results of cosmetic treatments to fully evolve (“settle in”). Unless something is really off, most minor problems will resolve in that time by just being patient.
- Try to avoid alcohol for 24 hours after treatment.
- No exercise except for walking for 24-48 hours after the procedure.
- No excessive sun or heat until any initial swelling and redness have resolved.
- Avoid squeezing or massaging the treated areas for several hours after treatment as this could subtly change the results.
- No aspirin or ibuprofen for 24 hours after treatment.
- If you have swelling, apply cold compresses to the treatment area for 5-10 minutes every hour for the first few hours, and then stop.
- If you have any pain, you may take paracetamol as necessary. Begin anti-inflammatories after 24 hours from treatment.
Occasionally, a treatment can trigger an acne flare. These side effects usually resolve naturally within 1-14 days after the treatment. Call your doctor if you need medication for acne.
If you do get a bruise or redness, find good makeup to cover up, if the bruise is on your lip then lipstick should do the trick. We have solutions; just contact us if needed.
Most importantly – turn up to your two week follow up appointment, this helps us to give you the most from your treatments.
Any concerns or questions feel free to contact us
Our clinic is situated in Gravesend town centre, opposite Gravesend Railway Station. The transport links available makes it very convenient for many of our clients who travel from London, Bromley, Longfield, Dartford, Chatham, Rochester and Maidstone, who visit us for dermal fillers, lip fillers and anti-wrinkle treatments.